We are no longer doing in office appointments due to COVID-19,
please call our office at 585-663-6333 to find out the latest arrangements.
Phone icon585-663-6333 Contact Us iconContact Us
Can I Leave Social Security To My Son In My Will When I Die?

people holding a paper family in their hands.
 I am unmarried but have an adult son. I am currently on Social Security disability. Will he be able to receive any of my Social Security benefits when I die? A few of my friends have told me that I can will my unpaid benefits to him? I’ve never heard of this.

A: Let’s go over some background.

Right now you’re receiving disability benefits.

When you reach full retirement age as defined by the Social Security Administration and your disability benefit converts to a retirement benefit, said Jean McAllister, a certified financial planner.She said this conversion is automatic, requires no action on your part and does not impact the level of your benefit.

We’re going to assume your adult son is over the age of 19 and does not currently qualify for a child’s benefit based on your disability or based on his own disability.

If these assumptions are correct, he would not qualify for any benefit when you transition to retirement benefit, she said.

But if he is younger and does qualify for a child benefit based on your benefit, he would continue to receive a child benefit as long as he is unmarried and under the age of 18, or 19 and still a full time high school student, McAllister said. At the point he reaches 19 or graduates from high school, whichever comes first, he would cease to qualify for a child benefit, she said.

There are no provisions for willing Social Security benefits to a surviving adult child, McAllister said.

“The Social Security Administration does provide for survivor benefits for spouses and for minor or disabled adult children,” she said. “Surviving children are entitled to benefits at the passing of a parent until the earlier of high school graduation or attaining age 19.”

You should contact the Social Security Administration with additional questions so it can advise you based on your personal records.

Source: https://www.masslive.com/news/2021/02/can-i-leave-social-security-to-my-son-in-my-will-when-i-die.html

Share This Posting
Focused on Client Service
& Personal Relationships
Find Us:
Facebook logo
Instagram logo
LinkedIn logo
Copyright © Benefit Representatives of America 2021 - All rights reserved
Website Design & SEO by Scriptable Solutions.